Get a sidebar with all of your buddies visible while you’re browsing. Get visual notifications when your friends IM you, such as a blinking tab or pop up window. Drag and drop links and images from web pages right onto your friends!
Meebo’s sidebar does currently require a Meebo window to be opened in order to send messages, but the Meebo team is working to change this in the near future. Here’s a note from the Meebo team:
Thanks for installing the meebo extension!
Here are some tips to get you started!
- Click on the meebo icon in your navigation bar up top to toggle the sidebar.
- You can pop out IM messages using the icon in the IM toolbar and they’ll float over Firefox while you browse.
- The sidebar will update you on recent IM activity.
- Want to add/remove buddies? Use the buddylist to your right.
- At the moment you’ll need to keep the meebo tab open — we’re working on a version where you won’t need to!
- Email us with any suggestions at comments at meebo dot com!
Check out the options screen:
You can automatically sign on to Meebo when Firefox starts, and customize your alerts. Do you want the more traditional blinking browser window, or the alert box which pops up in the lower right hand corner of your screen? Or both!?!?!
Alerts can also be customized, and this is incredibly helpful if you have dozens of contacts and just want to know when a message arrives or when a contact comes online.
I’ll continue testing this extension in the coming days and weeks, and follow up with a review. If you’re using the Meebo Firefox Plugin, please let us know in the comments what you think of it!
thepinkc’s coverage of Meebo: