Many people are using Firefox because you can customize the browser to your specific wants and needs by using extensions.
Here’s a quick list of mine:
- Adblock Plus – I use this along with the EasyList USA file to blog most ads online – saving me tons of bandwidth!
- All-in-One Sidebar – Mostly handy for me to add additional function to my sidebar – I can switch between sidebars easily, now!
- Always Remember Password – A must if you are the only user on your computer and use sites like Yahoo! that will not save your password. Hopefully this bug will be fixed in Firefox 3.
- CustomizeGoogle – One of my absolute favorites because it removes ads from Google, makes direct links to images on Google Image search and tons more!
- Download Statusbar – Lets me know how much longer I have to wait before I can listen to my Coffee Break Spanish episodes!
- Flashblock – Just like the name says, it blocks Flash from automatically playing in my browser. Again, another tool that saves bandwidth.
- Google Reader Notifier – While it is a little disquieting to see that I have 1,008 unread items in my Google Reader, I can quickly see where the posts are piling up without opening Google Reader.
- IE View Lite – Some sites just won’t work on Firefox. IE View Lite gives you the function to right click on a page and open the page in Internet Explorer.
- InfoLister – Makes an HTML list of your installed extensions, plugins and themes.
- Screen grab! – Fast and easy tool for making screenshots.
- Signature – Easy way to store email signatures and commonly used text (or code) in Firefox. I use it daily for everything from adding signatures to emails to code in blog posts.
- Tab Mix Plus – Highly customizable tab management system – have your tabs and windows reopen as you left them, customize the width, display, etc. of tabs, too!
Install InfoLister to generate your own extensions list and paste it in the comments! If you have a favorite, let us know why! ❗
This special feature, Geek Girl, appears every Monday.