These are steps 19-31 in the 101 Steps to Becoming a Better Blogger. I condensed these because they are all about plugins!
Install these plugins to optimize your blog:
19. Akismet – This plugin helps eliminate comment spam.
I already use Akismet, because it is one of the best ways to eliminate comment spam! I rarely get any comment spam because of Akismet’s strong filters!
20. Optimal Title – This plugin allows you to optimize the title of your blog post in order to improve your search engine rankings.
I use another SEO plugin that is similar to Optimal Title, called SEO Title Tag v2.1.1 by Stephan Spencer, Netconcepts — Search engine optimize your blog’s title tags. Create a customized title tag for any post, static page, category page, UltimateTagWarrior tag page – indeed, any URL!
21. Ultimate Tag Warrior – The best tag system for WordPress.
22. Google Sitemap Generator – This plugin will enable you to automatically generate a Google sitemap for your blog.
I use Google XML Sitemaps v3.0.1 by Arne Brachhold — This plugin will generate a sitemaps.org compatible sitemap of your WordPress blog which is supported by Ask.com, Google, MSN Search and YAHOO.
23. Show Top Commentators – This plugin encourages feedback and discussion by rewarding the top commentators with a link back to their site in the sidebar.
This is an extremely helpful plugin! It does exactly what it says it will, and top commentators love seeing their name in the sidebar!
24. Related Posts – This plugin will find other blog posts that are related to the current post. This encourages extra page views and keeps readers at your blog for a longer period of time.
I’m not using this plugin currently because of the theme I’m currently using. I don’t like how it adds lists of related posts to the main index page, instead of just to individual post pages, like it does with other themes. Perhaps when I do a blog redesign, I’ll pick this one back up.
25. Super Archive – One of the best archives system.
SRG Clean Archives v4.2 by Geek With Laptop is the best Archive plugin I’ve used. This plugin is designed to display your archive listings in a clean, uniform, single-query fashion that’s Search Engine friendly on a dedicated page or in your sidebar.
26. WP-Cache – This plugin is an extremely efficient caching system that will make your site much faster.
I’m going to test this one out and have a WordPress Wednesday post about it!
27. WP-ContactForm – This plugin allows your readers to easily email you. It also helps avoid spam.
Secure and Accessible PHP Contact Form vv.2.0WP B20070414 by Mike Cherim and Mike Jolley is another alternative. This powerful yet easy-to-install contact form features exceptional accessibility and usability while still providing extensive anti-spam and anti-exploit security features.
28. Popularity Contest – This plugin determines which of your posts are most popular and then puts them in the sidebar.
Got it! Not sure how much longer I’ll use it, since some of my “best” posts aren’t the most popular, and I really want them to get attention!
29. Adsense Deluxe – This plugin makes it easy to implement Adsense into your blog.
I don’t use Adsense on this blog!
30. Sociable – This plugin helps you spread your content through social bookmarking sites like Digg, del.icio.us,reddit, and others.
31. Feedburner Feed Replacement – This plugin directs all of your feed traffic to Feedburner, ensuring accurate readership stats. This plugin will also convert any existing subscribers from the old feed to the FeedBurner one.
Check out other people who are following the series:
Read more posts from this series:
- 101 Steps to Becoming a Better Blogger
- Use WordPress!: Step #1
- Sign up for Feedburner: Step #2
- Post at least once a day: Step #3
- Optimize your blog for SEO: Step #4
- Have an “About Me” page: Step #5
- 101 Steps: #6-8
- Blog and Ping – Step #9 in 101 Steps to Becoming a Better Blogger
- Submit your blog to RSS and blog directories: Step #10
- Trackbacks are important – Step #11
- Get involved in the blogosphere – Step #12
- Give your blog its own unique voice – Step #13
- Create unique, quality content – Step #14
- Add a large RSS button to your site
- Place an RSS feed link at the bottom of every post
- Install the MyBlogLog Widget
- Social Bookmarking – Step #18
- Better Blogger – Steps 19-31
- Create a custom blog design
- Add photos to each of your posts
- Use tagging in WordPress
- Tips to get more out of your WordPress blog
- Turn your blog posts into podcasts!
- Follow these 12 Steps and Get MORE Readers!
- Create a customized 404 page
- Keep Working at Becoming a Better Blogger!
- 11 Ways to Monetize Your Blog
- 19 Final Tips to Becoming a Better Blogger