An important part of the educational process is learning how to form your own ideas about a myriad of topics and communicating them to others.
Typically, you will be asked to write essays or papers that communicate your theories and understanding of a particular topic. It can be difficult to get organized, but with these tips, you will quickly be on your way to becoming an excellent written communicator, as well as earning high grades!
Perhaps the most important and best advice that I can give you is to create a schedule and stick to it when preparing to write an essay or paper. If you know you have a paper due in 6 weeks, do a little bit of it at a time, instead of waiting until the last minute. See Back to School: 5 Time Management Tips that Work for tips and tricks to getting papers done efficiently and with less stress.
These articles from lifehack.org are VERY helpful for providing the advice every student needs for becoming successful writers. Bookmark, print or save these pages to your computer. Refer back to them when you need some direction!
- Advice for Students: How to Write Research Papers that Rock! – Research can be tricky for many students, but these tips will help you get prepared for doing research online or at the library.
- Improve Your Grammar With These 40+ Tips – As a former instructor, I’ve found that grammatical errors often take away from the strength of an argument.
- Advice for Students: 10 Steps Toward Better Writing – These 10 steps are good ways to continue to improve your writing skills.
- A Guide to Becoming a Better Writer: 15 Practical Tips – Again, these tips will help you continue to improve. It is amazing how many things on this list are things I do already!
- Advice for Students: 10 Steps Toward Better Research – Improving your research skills can lead to better grades, employment and even graduate school admissions!
- Design Better with CRAP – While targeted mainly to bloggers, this method works well for formatting papers.
Additional articles of note:
- The Impotence of Proofreading – from Daily Writing Tips
- Back to School with the Class of Web 2.0: Part 1 – from Solution Watch; pay special attention to the section on “Learning and Research”
- Back to School with the Class of Web 2.0: Part 2 – from Solution Watch; this article features great information on Diagrams and Mindmapping – good ways to sketch out your ideas
Coming tomorrow: Welcome to Soulville’s Back to School installment #2
The 2007 Back to School series is designed to help students be more successful! New articles will be posted daily for two weeks, beginning August 13, 2007. Subscribe to the Back to School feed to get new installments in your feed reader.